My ever loving west coast brother, who is ten years younger than me, so obviously not old, has informed me that today is "International Day of Older Persons."
He also said that their slogan is "The older I get, the older 'old' gets." But, while I certainly agree with this sentiment, I think he might have made that up.
On December 14, 1990, the United Nations General Assembly voted to establish October 1 as the "International Day of the Elderly." Personally, I prefer the term 'older persons' over 'elderly.' Evidently so do others of my age, since the name of the day was changed.
An older person, or an old person if you prefer to be blunt, can be getting along just fine, thank you very much, but the term 'elderly' sounds rickety and in need of lots of assistance. On a recent newscast, I heard a man involved in something news worthy referred to as 'elderly.' Later in the same show it was revealed that he was 65. I'm sorry, 65 does not sound elderly to me.
The theme for this year's "Day of Older Persons" is "The Age of Longevity - Rethinking Systems for Longer Lives."
I can suggest one thing that will make a life feel longer. Decide, with your spouse, or another relative or friend, to put together a 1000 piece jig saw puzzle. If and when we finish the one we are working on right now, my wonder spouse and I will gladly pass it on to the next puzzle addicts. We guarantee that all the pieces will be there. Send me you address and I will mail it to you. Anywhere at all!
No comments:
Post a Comment