There has been some news over the last few years about the building of our new Allen County Jail. They were talking about it when I still lived in my downtown apartment a few years ago, and I paid attention because I could see the 'old' jail, built in 1981, from my 10th floor balcony. I never felt any concerns for my safety, but it was interesting to see police cars pulling in and out at all times of the day and night.
I found out, by doing a little research today, that the construction of the new jail at 2911 Meyer Road is actually underway and the targeted completion date is late 2027. It is a 400,000 square foot project being built on 44 acres of land and will, hopefully, correct the overcrowded conditions in the current facility. The new jail is being built because a judge ordered it to be built, to alleviated the severe overcrowding in our current facility. By the way, Fort Wayne is not a 'hot bed' of crime, but prisoners are brought to our jail from all over the northern part of the state.
In case you're wondering why I'm thinking about jails at all, it's because, while flipping through "Moments In Fort Wayne History" I came upon a page titled "Debtor's Prison." This was interesting enough that I have forgiven the author for his lack of information about libraries. Here is Mr. Bashore's entry written about 1960:
Regional correction centers are the modern form of correction and while they stir much discussion there's one thing of which you can be certain - they include no "debtor's prison," as did the first Allen County jail built in 1825. Although the Grand Jury contended only a year later that it was "unsatisfactory as a place of safety for persons committed thereto," it was still operating 23 years later in 1847. The newspaper persistently editorialized for a "more respectable" jail and with good reason. Escapes were frequent. One "Houdini" in particular mystified his jailors. Whenever he was incarcerated, which was frequent, he was back on the streets within minutes. His secret was finally discovered, though. It was a loose log he could lift out and replace undetected. A new jail was built and it performed more adequately until 1872 when the present jail was built, and like its predecssors, it, too, is a target for criticism and concern.
That jail, built in 1872, was evidently replaced by the current one built in 1981 which will be replaced in 2027 if all goes as planned.
Regarding prisoners, at one time in his working career, my wonder spouse ran a factory in a small town near Fort Wayne. Many of their employees were in a "work release" program. They came from jail to work, then back to work again. While they were in the system they were very good reliable workers. Sadly, once they were released from jail, many of them lost their jobs for frequent lateness and absences.
I have a good friend, now retired, who worked for years teaching prison inmates in a different part of Indiana to read and write and other basics of education. I have always admired her for that work. I thank her, my wonder spouse, and many others like them, for their committment to trying to make things better and give people a second chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment