Sunday, October 6, 2024

an interesting solution...

 In one of our daily text exchanges earlier this week my west coast brother told me that he was going to be taking a truckload of junk to the dump.  He and my sister-in-law, and various kids and grandkids from time to time, live on a five acre hill-side farm with an amazing ten mile view.  They raise goats, sheep and chickens so I wasn't too surprised when he mentioned hauling some junk away.  I was surprised, however, when he told me that the junk they were taking to the dump this time included an old mattress, an old couch and an old chair.  After the recent marriage of their youngest daughter they didn't need them, and she didn't want them.   But what really interested me was the method of disposal.  Their nearest large city has a waste to energy incinerator.  I had actually never heard of such a thing but it sounds like a great idea.  According to Google, where you can learn all sorts of facts about such a system, it basically burns trash to heat water which produces steam in a boiler and ultimately generates electricity, and in so doing reduces the volume of waste by 87%.  Sounds like a win/win to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment