Wednesday, October 16, 2024

doing some good...

This evening my wonder spouse and I helped pack meals for Project 216, an organization that sends packaged food all over the world.   This is an annual event for First Presbyterian Church.  It was an assembly line project, with several long tables set up in our large dining hall, each with all the ingredients and equipment needed to fill bags with the dry ingredients for a very nutritious soup.  Each bag filled and sealed (slightly larger than a quart size zip lock bag) contained enough to provide, when water is added, six meals.  Altogether we packed over 25,000 meals this evening.  This was our 10th year to sponsor this project, so in those ten years we have provided 250,000 meals.  We were told that at least some of the meals we packed will be going to victims of the recent hurricanes Helene and Milton.  At first, when I heard this, I thought, "Oh, they're not going to want this soup."  Because usually it's sent to third world or war-torn countries.  But then I realized that if I had just lost everything, and had to start putting my life back together, and really wasn't sure where my next meal was coming from, a bowl of soup might seem like a real treat.  In case you're wondering, I have tasted the soup and it's very good.  Kudos to the 85 people from First Pres who turned out, and special thanks to the volunteers from The Point Church who surprised us by showing up to help.  I think there were ten of them.  With all this assistance, the whole process was finished in an hour and a half.  Our efforts were rewarded with pizza before we went to work and ice cream sandwiches when the job was done.  It's nice to feel that we accomplished something good, and a bonus that it was fun.  But now I'm exhausted, so it's off to bed.  Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment