When my spouse and I were cleaning up and clearing out after our recent water disaster we came across a little paperback 50 page book (completely undamaged) called "Moments in Fort Wayne History." Subtitled "A Unique Look at the Places and People Contributing to Fort Wayne's Growth." It was written by Wesley D. Bashore and 'presented as a public service' by First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Fort Wayne. At the time of publication First Federal had five branches around town. They are still in business as First Federal Savings Bank with six branches.
I tried to find a publication date on this nifty little book but the best I could do is discover that Wesley Bashore was still writing articles for the Journal Gazette in 1952.
I do not plan to use this book for my next 50 blogs but there are a few articles, on things I didn't know, that I would like to share. Here is the first one:
Major Cigar Center
Few are aware of it, but Fort Wayne was once a major cigar manufacturing center. In the late 1800's, the town had 23 different cigar companies. The best know was the successful Coony Bayer Cigar Company located at Calhoun and Lewis Streets. At the local industry's height, annual production exceeded five and a half million cigars - a lot of smoke in any man's language. The aromatic output included such best sellers as Lady Wayne Puntamas, Coony's Little Havanas, Fort Wayne Belle, Our Bob and Valettos. The industry worried in 1905 when the state legislature outlawed cigarettes and prohibited drivers from smoking. The firm continued to prosper, however, until industry dynamics caused plants to move nearer to tobacco sources.
I found this article interesting for two reasons. First, I had no idea that cigars had ever been manufactured in Fort Wayne. I know their was a lot of beer brewed in Fort Wayne, but did not know about cigars.
The second reason is the law prohibiting drivers from smoking. I think this may have been the first attempt to make distracted driving illegal.
No comments:
Post a Comment