According to my west coast brother, and confirmed by the calendar, today is "National Situational Awareness Day." Basically, this is a day to remind all of us to be aware of what's going on around us when we're out in public. I must admit that I have often walked around a mall or downtown without paying much attention to who was around me or what might be going on. I'm too busy admiring fountains and flowers.
In case you're wondering, like I was, just what does it mean to be situationally aware, here are some answers.
Situational awareness is
Being Present: Paying close attention to your immediate surroundings rather than being distracted (such as by cell phones).
Early Recognition: Identifying potential hazards, escapes routes, or threats a split second sooner to avoid harm.
Informed Decisions: Knowing how to respond safely if something unexpected occurs.
As I read through this list, I found myself thinking that this really doesn't apply to my wonder spouse and myself much anymore. Most of our ventures out 'into the world' are fairly close to home and in areas we consider to be very safe. On the other hand, in October we will be on a long driving trip through the southwest with stops in cities like St. Louis, Dallas and Nashville. I do not think of these cities as being dangerous but it won't hurt to stay alert and aware of our surroundings, if for no other reason than to keep us from tripping and falling.
I do remember one incident when knowing to call 911 (an informed decision) helped me. This was about 12 years ago, so I was in my late 60s. I was driving on a quiet cross street in downtown Fort Wayne, leaving an evening church meeting that had run late, when I saw a man lying half on the street and half on the sidewalk. I drove on until I was in the next block, then called the police to inform them of the man I had seen and the location. They asked me if I was waiting at the scene? I told them no, I had driven on because I didn't know if it was a trap. The policeman I was talking to agreed that that was a wise decision, and assured me that they would go to the scene. I gave him my name and address and drove on home. I never heard any more about the incident. But I will always be glad that I did have some sense of how to respond.
Situational Awareness Day isn't exactly a day to celebrate but you might take a few minutes to consider being present, practicing early recognition, and being ready to make informed decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment