Tuesday, September 8, 2026

The Great Black Swamp

 My westcoast brother happily told me today that they have had, so far in September, more rain than they had during the months of June, July and August combined. It amounted to 0.32" of rain.  I asked him how that compared to other years and he said it's about the same.  Then he said it "comes from living on the edge of a desert."

To which I replied "Whereas we live on the edge of the great black swamp" so we get plenty of rain.  In case you haven't heard of it "The Great Black Swamp" is a real thing.  

"Long ago, a vast swamp stretched across much of northwest Ohio. Known as the Great Black Swamp, it covered more than 1,500 square miles and reached into parts of Indiana. Most of it lay where today’s northwest Ohio communities now thrive. This massive wetland played a major role in shaping how towns and farms in the area developed. Even now, it continues to influence life in this part of the state."

I grew up in Woodburn, Indiana, 18 miles from the Ohio state line, and definitely part of the great Black Swamp area.  My great grandparents were among the intrepid farmers who cleared and drained the swamp land, creating some of the best agricultural soil anywhere.  It was no easy task though.  Like any good swamp, this swamp was heavily forested.  I read once that you could walk across northern Indiana and touch a tree with every step.  It was also filled with malaria carrying mosquitoes.  Families sitting down to eat in their cabins would have smudge pots burning under the table to keep the mosquitoes away.  While some logs were used to build cabins, hundreds of trees were simply cut down and burned to clear the land for farming. Hence the name "Woodburn."  After the trees were cleared, trenches were dug and clay pipes were layed in the fields.  The pipes would absorb the water out of the swampy ground and it would run off into creeks or rivers.  When I was a young child there was still a plant manufacturing clay pipes in Woodburn.  

I marvel at the ingenuity and stubborn resolve of these early German settlers, and am proud to call them my ancestors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment