Sunday, July 19, 2026

Follow up...

We won!!  We Won!! I am happy to report that the soccer game we attended last night was every bit as exciting as the one we watched on TV today and the outcome was more satisfying because Fort Wayne won with a score of 3-0.  The new soccer stadium was everything a soccer stadium should be.  There was even a 'pep squad.'  At least that's what we called them when I was in highschool.  Of course back then it was the basketball players we were cheering, but last night's chant of "We want another one, just like the other one." sounded very, very familiar.  Very enjoyable indeed.  

This afternoon my wonder spouse (who is responsible for getting me interested in soccer) and I watched the final match of the FIFA World Cup competition.  Spain vs Argentina.  

If you haven't heard, Spain won 1-0 with their only goal scored at the very end of the game.  Argentina was not able to score due to some really excellent saves by Spain's goalkeeper.  

I felt like I was in a win-win situation watching this game.  My favorite city in the world is Barcelona (pronounced Barthelona if you're interested) which is in Spain, so of course I was inclined to cheer for Spain.  On the other hand Lionel Messi who was playing for Argentina (a country I have visited and like) at one time played soccer for Barcelona, and he is an amazing player, well worth cheering for and so I did.  

From now on, for the next few months at least, I think our soccer watching will be focused on (FWFC) the Fort Wayne Football Club. Sometimes on TV and sometimes in person.  I'm especially looking forward to the in person games, and not just for the big salty pretzels with cheese sauce which were very good indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment