Saturday, July 11, 2026

just curious...

Earlier this week I spent over $100 buying birthday cards for family members and friends who have July birthdays.  Both of my brothers, for example, were born in July.  Also my spouse, his son, two friends and two daughters-in-law.  And there are more.

What makes me curious is why July?  I could understand lots of birthdays in September for example because of people celebrating all the December holidays exuberantly.  But what was going on in October?  Halloween doesn't seem like a romantic holiday to me.

Perhaps in the olden days, when we were a much more agrarian society, by October the harvest would be in, nights were growing longer and colder and there was no TV to watch.  But, old as I am, I am still young enough that I and all of my friends and family were born in the 20th or 21st century.  So what was going on in October?

Statistically August has the most baby births in the US with July and October close behind, but September contains the most common birthdays with September 9 being the most popular birthday.  My son was born on September 13.  Missed it by that much. Ah well. 

Still wondering what was going on in October...


No comments:

Post a Comment