My west coast brother has informed me that today is "International Tiger Day." I'm not really familiar with tigers, having seen them at a distance in zoos, but I do think they are beautiful big cats.
But, closer to home, we have a tiger striped cat who prowls our cul-de-sac most days. She has a collar and looks well fed so I presume she has a happy home nearby.
I think, though, that she has delusions of tigerness. She would like to be padding softly through the jungle or across the veldt sneaking up on an unsuspecting gazelle (or some kind of animal), pouncing and making the kill.
While this may be her dream, her reality is lurking under or near our bird feeders, waiting for some unwary bird to fly near her. They never do.
The antics remind me of a book I used to read to my children about the little blue bird who comes walking along, walking along. When the following cat gets too close (just when my children would get worried) the blue bird would fly away. And so it goes in the real life of our back yard.
No comments:
Post a Comment