Monday, December 11, 2017

How far we've come

Today is National 'App' Day which ties in perfectly with what I was already planning to write about. Yesterday I drove to the mall to do some Chritsmas shopping and realized, when I got there, that I had left my cell phone at home. My first response was a quick burst of panic as the thought passed through my mind that I wouldn't have a way to call for help on the way home if I was in an accident. After reassuring myself that someone (or everyone) in the crowd of onlookers who would gather at this fictional accident would no doubt call for help for me - after they clicked off a bunch of pictures of course.  Once I reassured myself that I would no doubt make it home alright, I realized I would still miss my phone. It contained pictures (love that camera) of things I had planned to shop for. I don't use all of the apps available but I do appreciate the availability. The whole experience made me remember my first "cell phone" or box phone, a clunky box that sat on the floor of my car between the front seats. My husband insisted I have it for safety's sake because I was making a driving trip to Reno by myself. It did make me feel more secure. Of course neither of us considered that (back in the 80's) there were vast stretches of the wild west without any cell tower service.  Ah well, i did survive that drive, just as I made it home yesterday.  Of course, I will have to go back this week, with my phone, to finish my shopping. Ho, ho, ho....

No comments:

Post a Comment