Wednesday, February 10, 2016

the eyes have it

I had my annual eye check up today.  The surgeon who did my glaucoma surgery and his staff give me a very thorough check up which includes dilating my eyes to do a visual field test.  This is a nifty test where, using one eye at a time, a person clicks a button whenever she sees a light blip on the screen.  A bit hard to explain but it always feels to me a little like I'm playing an arcade or computer game shooting down little lights.  I've never minded going to an eye doctor because nothing they do hurts and there are no noisy drills.  I've been having checkups and wearing glasses since I was seven and I find it fascinating to see how eye exam equipment has evolved. Of course that's a span of 64 years so you would expect some changes.  The results of today's exam: glaucoma under control, eye pressure excellent, sight in my left eye has changed from 20/60 last year to 20/200 but my right eye is still pretty good.  The doctor finished up by saying that I probably will need cataract surgery in both eyes sometime in the next one to three years but no sooner than next year.  Then she said that if I noticed my vision blurring a lot in my right eye I should come back sooner.  Of course, while she is saying this I'm thinking "Oh, no, my right eye is really blurry right now." Then I remembered - my eyes had just been dilated.  Things are looking much clearer this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment