Thursday, March 13, 2014

Everything's tasting better.

I remember many years ago, when my father quit smoking (for the last time), after about two weeks he made the comment that everything had started to taste better.  He didn't realize how much flavor he had been missing in his food.  Now I'm wondering if a similar phenomenon can happen regarding sugar.  A week ago I "gave up" what I call heavy sugar (sweet rolls, cake, cookies, etc.) for Lent.  So far it has been much easier than I anticipated and interestingly, other food seems to be tasting better.  Case in point, I'm sitting here munching an apple and it tastes very sweet and good, while generally I tend to think of apples as rather tart.
I must confess, while I used Lent as an excuse to get started, I needed to do this.  I found myself eating more and more sugar, making excuses to bake cookies and brownies.  I can't say I'm addicted to sugar, although I do think it can be addictive., but I was certainly eating too much.
Time will tell what happens when Easter gets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment