Sunday, April 27, 2014

Into the woods and out again...

I attended the musical "Into the Woods" with a friend last night. It was a production put on by the IPFW theater department, and, as always, it was a very high energy performance with excellent singers in the lead roles. The story was based on an amusing premise - mixing characters from several different fairy tales (the original grim "Grimm" versions) and exploring beyond "happily ever after".  I think, if the length had been cut from 3 to 2 hours, probably by tightening up the lyrics, maybe by eliminating some of the less inspired songs, I would have enjoyed it more.  Ah well, perhaps I'm hopelessly old fashioned.  I tend to enjoy musicals where I can walk away humming at least one of the melodies.  But it was a sold out house, so obviously not everyone agrees with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment