Thursday, April 24, 2014

The well-traveled bouncing horse

Forty years ago, when my son was two years old, his father and I bought him a wonderful large bouncing horse from Sears.  As a Christmas gift it was a huge success.  Tommy bounced, rocked and rode that horse many, many miles, and after he got too tall, his sister took her turn.  But eventually my kids were too large for the horse.and we stuck it away in the basement until...my youngest brother and his wife had a baby boy.  We packed up the horse in our mini-van and drove it to Spokane from Indiana.  After my brother's five children out grew the horse, we were visiting them, saw it sitting unused and brought it back to Indiana for our first grandson.  Now he is almost 13, my other three grandchildren are 10, 11 and 12 and the horse is standing unused again.  But this week, I spoke with my brother in Spokane, who now has 4 grandchildren (ages 1-8) and one on the way, and they want the bouncing horse back.  So this summer, when I take my planned driving trip out west the horse will go along.  Will this be its last journey?  Who knows.  It's a very durable horse that seems to give magical rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment