Wednesday, July 30, 2014

now that's astonshing

A weather reporter on TV yesterday informed the listeners that the low that morning was 48 degrees, making it, he said "the second coldest day ever."  That surprised me a little because I distinctly remember some sub-zero days this past winter that certainly seemed colder to me.  In the next weather report, some 20 minutes later, he had modified his story somewhat and informed us that yesterday was the second coldest July 29th ever, which sounded a little more reasonable, but still ever is a long, long time.  Finally, the third time around, he explained that we had almost broken the record for coldest July 29th which was set in 1904 at 47 degrees.  Now that is amazing.  I didn't even know they kept records in 1904, but, I'm sorry, it's still not 'ever".  I suspect that there were colder Julys during the last ice age.  Of course July hadn't been invented yet, so I'm not sure if that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment