Monday, August 3, 2026

arts and crafts

 On Monday afternoons I meet with some church friends at a group gathering we call FFF (Faith, Fibers and Friendship).  We each bring a fiber project to work on and talk while we work.  What I particularly like about this group is that everyone is kind.  There is no cattiness or malicious gossip.  

We also don't spend much time on our phones although we do share pictures of grand and great grandchildren, and sometimes even adorable pets.

All of the ladies in this group, except me, either knit or crochet and they create beautiful pieces - shawls, sweaters, socks, blankets, etc in glorious colors and lacy patterns. 

Sadly, I cannot knit or crochet.  I have tried but my fingers just don't want to work that way, or perhaps I don't have the patience.  So I weave, and after I have taken a long strip of fabric off my New Zealand lap loom, I stitch designs on it.  Happily, my FFF friends are very encouraging and like what I do. 


This is my current project.  It is pictorial representations of the trips my wonder spouse and I have gone on since we first got together.  The three finished triangular panels represent trips to Michigan, the Caribbean, and Key West.  Still to come - Canada, South America, Egypt and Japan & Alaska.  When those are finished I will have two spaces left. So obviously we need to go somewhere else.  Although a friend who knows us well suggested that the final panel could show my spouse and me working on a jigsaw puzzle. 

My wonder spouse refers to this as our own personal Bayeux Tapestry.  Happily, though, no battles are involved. Also it is only seven feet long not 70 meters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment