He learned to communicate and was eventually well received. In addition to his life-long career as a pastor, my grandfather also loved to write poetry. While I don't think his poetry is bad, many people would consider it unsophisticated. He self-published at least three volumes that I am aware of. While flipping through one of his books of poetry, "Poems For All Classes" published in 1922, I came across this poem which seems very appropriate for "Never Give Up Day."
The title is "Do What You Can"
Say not within your heart, I see no chance in this broad world for me,
And sit not down to fret and whine
Because you think you ne'er shall shine
Before the world as others do; fret not for there's a place for you.
The little star that shines on high does not make bright the entire sky,
But should each little star complain
Because all heaven's great domain is not made bright by its small ray, And for that cause should fret and say
"Because these brilliant rays of mine do not reach all
I'll cease to shine."
The heavens all o'ercast would be with gloom and darkness.
None could see the beautiful and radiant light
which gladdens many hearts at night.
I, in this world am but a star.
My light may not extend as far into the dark world's gloom as some, Who through the world may go and come,
But God has given me some work
To do, my task I will not shirk;
I'm one small star in his great plan, therefore I'll do the best I can.
My grandpa as I knew him. I was nine years old when he died.
Grandpa and Grandma on their wedding day. Circa 1900.


No comments:
Post a Comment