Monday, August 17, 2026
Was this for real???
My west coast brother informed me that today is "Balloon Airmail Day." Naturally this piqued my curiosity so I did a little reasearch. Here is a little bit of what I found.
The concept of airmail was first whispered in the corridors of innovation during the late 19th century, but it wasn't until the early 20th century that the idea truly took flight. As airships grew in popularity, forward-thinking entrepreneurs saw an opportunity to transform the postal service. Thus, airmail was born, marking the beginning of a new era in communication.
On Balloon Airmail Day, we commemorate the pioneering spirit of those who dared to dream big. From the early experiments with hot air balloons to the luxurious airships of the 1930s, this holiday honors the innovators who bridged the gap between two modes of transportation: airships and mail. Their courage and vision laid the foundation for a global postal network that continues to connect us today.
I was particularly interested to learn that one of these early test flights was launched in Lafayette, Indiana. I urge you to Google this topic. You will find an amazing amount of information. Then, in commemoration tie a note to the string of a helium balloon and let it fly. If you attach your name and contact info you might just get a friendly response.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment