My west coast brother has once again supplied me with an interesting bit of information. Did you know that on this date in 1958 Chicken Ramen was introduced? It's true. Momofuku Ando, a Taiwanese-Japanese businessman and founder of Nissin Foods invented instant raman noodles in 1958. I'm not going to go into all of the history except to say that ramen noodles had been around for a long long time. It was the idea of 'instant' noodles that was brand new.
College students and any young people living on a tight budget have applauded this invention ever since. Ramen noodle packets are still one of the cheapest things you can buy in a grocery store.
And it doesn't stop with young people. At every point in my life when I have lived alone, ramen noodles have been one of my stand bys. I especially like the chicken flavor. I have even served them to my wonder spouse once or twice.
The thing about ramen noodles is that they can become delicious and filling meals all by themselves or with some enhancements. I used to add chopped up cooked pork or chicken (whatever I had leftover). As an alternative, I would stir in a raw egg while the ramen was boiling and make egg drop soup. Now you know my secret ramen recipes.
So on this very special day let's all toast Momofuku Ando, preferably with sake or plum wine. Cheers and thank you Mr. Ando, for your wonderful invention.
No comments:
Post a Comment