Well, terrified might be a little too strong a word but not by much. Let me explain. This all happened about 40 years ago but the memories are still vivid.
These memories were brought back when my west coast brother informed me that today is "National Roller Coaster Day." I have ridden on a roller coaster once (only once), and as I said the memory is still vivid.
I had just finished a week long training session leading to a designation I was trying to earn as a relocation specialist (an add on to my Realtor / Broker status). This would, we thought, bring more business into our company, and it did. The training program was held at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge near Knoxville. They had, probably still have, a huge hotel with lots of meeting rooms and a large glass domed atrium which boasted several restaurants.
The first terrified moment came when we attendees were gathered under the glass for lunch on the third day of the conference. We were told that a tornado was coming and the whole area must be evacuated. We were all scared but the evacuation was handled very smoothly. We were led out of that big open area into long, tunnel-like, utilitarian hallways behind the kitchens that guests were never intended to see, well away from any possibility of flying glass. Waiters, cooks, all kinds of staff guided us, finally, out of the labyrinth and to our hotel rooms. As it happended the tornado went south of us and did not do any damage to the hotel, but the whole evacuation experience was rather scary.
Knowing that my conference was at Dollywood, which boasted an amazing amusement park, my first husband brought our two children down so the three of them could spend the weekend after the conference with me. I innocently agreed that this would be lots of fun.
As soon as we got to the amusement park the kids decided that we all must go on a roller coaster ride. I had never been on one before, nor had my husband. I don't remember how he handled it. All I do remember about that ride was that as soon as the coaster made its first plunge I started screaming, and kept it up for the entire ride. I was truly terrified. My then teenage children thought this was hilarious. The chant "Oh Mom, you were so scared!" followed by gales of laughter, still rings in my ears. Teenagers are not kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment