Thursday, August 6, 2026

refreshing.....

 Today, according to my west coast brother, is "National Root Beer Float Day."  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to indulge in a root beer float today, but just thinking about them brought back lots of sweet memories. 

 Do you remember A&W root beer and the stands where you could buy it?  A&W was our favorite (also the only root beer stand in the small town where I grew up). Sometimes we had our root beer with vanilla ice cream (a float) and sometimes we enjoyed our root beer straight and served in a heavy glass frosty mug.  Never with ice, that would dilute the flavor. 

When my first husband and I went traveling around the United States in our trusty VW bus, accompanied by our two children, coming upon a root beer stand was an automatic excuse for a stop.  

When they were very young, we bought two miniature mugs for the kids.  They loved those little mugs and drank everything from them; root beer of course, but also milk, fruit juice, even water.  

Not surprisingly, the more I think about root beer floats the more I want one.  Sadly, it's too late tonight, but there's always tomorrow.

I just did quick check and I may have to change brands.  It's not nice to drink alone and my wonder spouse can't drink anything made with corn syrup.  Happily IBC root beer is made with cane sugar, and our local Kroger's carries it in 4 packs and 6 packs.  

Even better, I need to go shopping tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment