Monday, March 16, 2015

more on Pi and calculating decimals

A reader (yes I actually have some) has informed me that next year will be the real Super Pi Day, because the string of numbers in Pi actually round up to 3.1416, so watch for big excitement next year on 3-14-16. Now to the other math quandary of the day.  On Monday afternoons I spend an hour tutoring a 5th grader and today his math work involved dividing with decimals. Part of the exercise was being given a problem and the digits of the answer and placing the decimal point in the right place.  I knew where the decimals should go but evidently I'm not doing it the right, modern way.  I've asked the teacher to explain the process as he teaches it.  In the meantime I'll keep doing long division or common sense (or cheating and using the calculator on my phone).  Shhh, don't tell.  I did discover that one "answer" on the worksheet was wrong.  I guess the proofreader in me still lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment