Wednesday, April 1, 2015

RIP Frances Kitty

She was a good, good cat, an excellent listener and a champion snuggler. She lived to be almost 13 years old and was never sick until this last week when she simply stopped eating.  Thyroid and kidney problems made the prognosis not at all hopeful.  After several days of being non-responsive to treatments the vet and I agreed that it was time to put her to sleep.  I refused to let her slowly starve to death.  This is the fifth pet for whom I've had to make this decision  I've stood and patted and talked to each one as they received first the relaxing shot and then the lethal dose.  Frances went very quickly and peacefully.  Every time I've gone through this I've found myself wondering "Why can't we be this merciful to humans?"

No comments:

Post a Comment