Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Color of the year

I heard on the morning news the other day that the color of the year (I think they mean for 2017) is a light yellow green, a spring color that reflects life and plant growth. 60 years ago the color was called chartreuse and my mother painted our living room that color. We also had a living room sectional sofa in a slightly darker shade of the same color. Was my mother ahead of her time or has history simply taken a long time to repeat itself? They say that clothing styles repeat every 20 years, maybe it takes longer with colors. But thinking about clothes and colors, I am old enough to remember when every year (but especially during the sprint pre-Easter season) seemed to have "the color of the year" and department store windows would be filled with clothes, shoes and hats all in the same color.  When I was about 14 the color was a beautiful royal blue.  I really liked that year but I don't remember that color coming back when I was 34 or 54. Maybe when I'm 74?  Only two years to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment