Monday, December 19, 2016

for better or worse, done for another year

I finished my annual Christmas poem today, got all the envelopes addressed and ready to go out in the mail tomorrow - which, I understand, is the last day to have a hope of getting them to people before Christmas Day. I figure, worst case, it will give people something to read the day after Christmas. I have a loose leaf notebook where I have kept copies of all the poems I have sent out over the years. I glanced through it today, as I was adding a copy of this year's effort, and was interested to discover that I sent out my first poem in 1993. At least that's the earliest one I could find. As I paged through them I relived a lot of highlights; college graduations, children getting married, grandchildren being born, Also some sad times (in the years I could only write prose), but all in all these silly little poems present an interesting look at the last 20+ years in our family life. I'm thinking I might assemble a set for each of my kids. Based on my usual speed for getting things done, if I start planning now, I may finish that project by next Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment