Monday, January 27, 2020

TUTOR TROUBLES

On Monday afternoons I tutor a 5th grade boy. I do this as part of the FWCS Study Connections program and generally I enjoy it very much. He is a quick witted boy with a good sense of humor.  Last year he had a break through in math, thanks to his classroom teacher who really made math come alive for her students. The only down side is that he really doesn't like to read.  He will start every session questioning "Do we have to read?" and then negotiating the fewest number of pages possible.  He can "sound out" most words but I get the impresssion that he doesn't really know or care what he's reading.  He just wants to get through it.  I think next week I may surprise him by telling him he only has to read one page.  But there will be a catch.  After every sentence he has to stop and tell me what he just read.  Maybe it will help him focus.  At bset he may surprise me by showing me that he is understanding more than I think he is.  Fingers crossed on that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment