Friday, March 4, 2022

That big???

 Do you know how large the Great Sphinx of Giza is?  I didn't either until I read yesterday's entry in my trivia calendar.   Evidently the Sphinx is 66 feet high and 240 feet long.  I had no idea.  I knew it was large but six stories high and longer than two football fields?  That is really big.  I have obviously never seen the Sphinx although I would like to visit Egypt someday.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  Many years ago I lectured in Art History at IPFW.  That involved showing lots and lots of slides (it was the high tech of the time) to my students. The trouble with seeing slides of great works of art is that they all look the same size.  Over the last fifteen years I have been lucky enough to visit museums in many cities in Europe.  It was always such a pleasant experience to come upon a work I had lectured about all those years before.  Like finding an old friend.  But there was almost always a surprise attached - pictures and sculptures that were much larger or much smaller that I had envisioned.  Fun but a little disorienting.  I am soooo ready to travel and be surprised again.

No comments:

Post a Comment