Thursday, May 21, 2015

a bevy of baton twirllers

I attended my granddaughter's baton recital this evening.  This is her third year and she is really pretty good.  Not quite up to flaming baton status yet (thank goodness) but still quite good.   They actually don't get their flaming batons until their 12th year which I think is pretty smart on their teacher's part.  Each age group does two routines, one with batons and one with pompoms and it's interesting to me to see how much more relaxed they are in the pom routines.  No big surprise though - people are much less likely to drop poms than batons. I found myself thinking, as I watched the show, I could have done that when I was a child, well, except for the fact that I was woefully uncoordinated and had no sense of rhythm.  Ah well, at least I can watch.
I just remembered, I did dance with a group once.  I was one of 5 PTA moms, it was part of a fund raiser, and we were all dressed as "California Raisins" in purple trash bag costumes.  We danced to "I heard it through the Grape Vine" and, happily, there is no recorded copy of that event.

No comments:

Post a Comment