Saturday, February 19, 2022

Burrrr...

 I have a nice view from my balcony of the Old Fort across the river.  During the year several weekend encampments and festivals are held there.  I always know when there is an encampment, even if I don't see any people around, because they raise a flag.  It varies from a 13 star US flag to a slightly later one.  Sometimes it's a French flag.  In nice weather I enjoy going over and exploring what's going on.  In nice warm pleasant weather.  Today's weather is not what I consider nice.  It was sunny, sort of, but really cold.  My friends know that I am a fair weather walker.  I was surprised to see, rather early this morning, that there was an encampment going on.  They were flying a US flag so I knew we weren't under attack but I did wonder why they were there at all.  I didn't see any tents set up so I assumed everyone was huddled around fireplaces inside the fort.  That's where I would have been.  It turns out, according to the evening news, this is an annual winter encampment to learn how early settlers dealt with the cold.  Burrrrr... I hope they had plenty of firewood.  This exercise seems a little extreme but certainly not as crazy as those people who take the polar bear plunge.  But that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment