Thursday, February 17, 2022

Reminiscing

 My oldest niece sent me a text this evening with a picture of a pillow her grandmother, my step-mom, made for her when she was five years old and trying to give up sucking her thumb.  Not sure how well that worked but it did remind me of my middle brother's (her father's) struggle to give up sucking his thumb when he was eight years old. He finally accomplished it when he was bribed with a set of toy pistols with holsters for his birthday.  Two-gun cowboys were big back then and none of them sucked their thumbs.  Remembering the thumb sucking reminded me that when he sucked his thumb he liked to rub a little fuzz under his nose.  I mentioned this to my niece and she said so did she, and so did her husband.  The consequence of this love of fuzz was that my brother plucked his teddy bear and one of my dolls bald.  That's when I learned about doll hospitals.  My mother took my doll, one of my favorites, to the doll hospital where they replaced her wig.  She went from being a curly haired brunette to a blonde with long braids, very pretty and not pluckable.  Now that's got me thinking about dolls but I'll save that for another time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment