Wednesday, February 16, 2022

restaurant review

 A friend and I ate at Bistro Nota this evening.  It wasn't very busy at 5:30 on a Wednesday evening so we were seated quickly.  It's a small French restaurant on Calhoun Street, two buildings north of Riegel's Tobacco Shop.  I had never heard of this restaurant before but a sign inside said it was founded in 1929.  Maybe, but I don't think it's been in Fort Wayne that long.  While we were waiting for our food I asked my friend what 'nota' means.  He promptly replied that it is a Latin adjective meaning 'familiar.'  I was impressed with his knowledge, he has studied some French after all, until I realized he was reading from a sign on the wall behind me.  The food was delicious.  We each had a small plate item.  My friend had the Croque Madame, a dish he had seen prepared on a TV cooking show - a lavish ham and cheese sandwich with a special sauce and a sunny side up egg on top.  He said it was good although he would have liked a little more sauce.  I had a braised Brussel sprouts concoction with lots of fine chopped vegetables in a peppery, very tasty sauce.  In fact the sauce was so good that I asked our server for some bread and admitted to him that I was going to use it to mop up the sauce left in the bottom of the bowl.  He thought that was a fine and very understandable idea.  I thought it would be a little more couth than licking the bowl. The bread, by the way, was also delicious, dense and flavorful, with a salty crust, and it was sliced.  I didn't have to struggle to cut hunks off a loaf.  All in all a pleasant dining experience.  

No comments:

Post a Comment