Thursday, February 24, 2022

little accidents

 One of my granddaughters, 19 and in college, admitted to me that a few weeks ago, in one of our slushy snow storms, she slid her car off the road and into a ditch.  She's fine and the car is was not damaged. It did get pretty muddy as she tried to get it out herself before calling AAA.  Not quite so recently, but during this school year, another granddaughter, this one a senior in high school, had a flat tire on her way home from a party.  It was late at night, and dark and she was in an unfamiliar part of town so she drove slowly home on the flat.  Shredded the tire but didn't damage the rim.  Thirty years ago, give or take, one girl's father and the other girl's mother (my two children) each had an accident while driving to school.  They weren't hurt nor was anyone else.  

All of these incidents were relatively minor and I am so glad that they happened.  Young drivers seem to believe they are invincible, and a wake up call can help them take life and driving a little more seriously from then on.  

And, in case you're wondering, yes of course I had my own little accident.  In my case, I rolled my first car over and up on it's wheels again.  Since it was a Corvair, it wasn't that hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment