Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Hot German Potato Salad recipe

The only thing better than having people enjoy the food I cook is having someone ask for the recipe. High praise indeed. The recipe I used recently for Hot German Potato Salad (actually the cookbook calls it Baked German Potato Salad) comes from a cookbook put together by an AAL (Aid Association for Lutherans) group and published in 1989. Not sure how it came into my possession but it has become one of my favorites. A quote at the beginning of the book says "A recipe that is not shared with others will soon be forgotten, but when it is shared, it will be enjoyed by future generations." So here it is:
1 cup dliced bacon (I used thick sliced bacon and cut it in small pieces before I fried it.)
1 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped onion
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons flour
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1 & 1/3 cup water
8 cups cubed, cooked potatoes (I used one bag of "Salad Time" potatoes from Kroger. They have a thin yellow skin and don't need to be peeled. Try not to over cook the potatoes.

Boil potatoes and drain; put in large bowl. Fry bacon and drain, Add to the potatoes. Return 4 tablespoons of the bacon fat to the skillet in which you fried the bacon. Add celery, onion, salt and flour. Cook gently, Add sugar, vingar, pepper and water. Bring to a boil. Pour mixture over potatoes and bacon. Mix gently. Put in a three quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I actually made the salad a day ahead, refrigerated it after I put it in the baking dish, and baked it the next day at 300 degrees for one hour.  This worked just fine.

I always like to make ahead when I can so I can do the clean up ahead.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment