Wednesday, April 3, 2024

foreign exchange...

 It seemed like a simple project.  I decided to call a company that pays me one of my little pensions each month to give them my change of name and address because the 2023 tax form still had my previous information.  I called the number kindly provided on the most recent form I have, which also shows an address in Illinois.  A very nice sounding young man with a thick Indian accent answered my call.  Please understand.  I am not prejudiced and I have dealt with many people with accents quite successfully, although I will admit that some Scots accents are tough to understand, to put it mildly.  One tour bus drive in Scotland had to write things down for me.  Actually I marvel at how spoiled we Americans are since people around the world speak English.  It wasn't the accent that was the problem. It was just one word.  After I found out pretty quickly that he couldn't take care of the name change but would mail me a form for that, we proceeded to the address change.  I gave him our house number and the street name of our address which ends in Court - for example 1234 Swampy Court, then proceeded to the city, Fort Wayne.  I went very slowly as he requested and spelled every thing out but some how he he thought Court and Fort were the same word and my street address was 1234 Swampy Court Lane.  It took me a while to realize what he was doing and another while to get things straightened out.  I finally told him to look at my old address, which he had confirmed a half hour earlier, where he saw Fort Wayne printed out.  Then I gave him my new zip code.  I should be getting something in the mail, some how, some time soon.  I live in hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment