Saturday, April 6, 2024

shine on....

 Did you love the sunshine today?  I certainly did.  After all the cloudy rainy days lately I was beginning to feel sunshine-deprived.  But not today.  Today was a day of blue skies and puffy white clouds and bright sunshine.  We were so inspired by the sunshine that my spouse and I did a solar observation.  My son, who has access to such things, had given us solar eclipse glasses to use on Monday.  Please note, we are not driving anywhere on Monday.  We will be happy with seeing a partial eclipse from our own back yard.  My son, on the other hand will be in Indianapolis, with the company he works for, launching balloons high into the air to photograph the eclipse above any clouds.  He has to leave home at 4:00am to be there in time to set things up.  I'm sure it will be a fairly quick trip to Indy but nobody knows how long it will take him, and everyone else, to get home.  Now back to today and our solar observation.  We took our eclipse glasses into the back yard and looked at the sun.  There it was, a little round disc in the sky.  I was amazed at how small and far away it looked; smaller than the moon.  I'm excited to see what we will see on Monday.

An additional fun note: as I was sorting through many boxes of stuff, getting my new office set up, I came upon an envelope labeled "Solar eclipse glasses - keep for April 8, 2024." Sure enough there was one pair carefully wrapped inside, saved from the eclipse in 2017.  Proof, if it was ever needed, that I save lots of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment