Saturday, April 13, 2024

fun at the Phil...

 This evening's Philharmonic concert was, in my opinion, one of the very best this season.  The first half was fun because Elgar's "Falstaff, Op.68" was performed with an interesting addition.  Between each movement actors performed short scenes featuring Falstaff (Bob Haluska) and Prince Henry (Kevin Torwelle) in short scenes from Shakespeare's play, "Henry IV."  I actually had a part in a First Pres Production of Henry IV and this brought back some fun memories.  In case you're wondering, I played King Henry's nurse in his dying scene.  It took me longer to get into my costume than the total time I was on stage.  

All of that was great, but the second half of the evening was simply amazing.  The music was Beethoven's "Concerto in D major for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 61." While I admit that I enjoy Beethoven more than Elgar, what made this performance simply outstanding was the guest soloist.  Philippe Quint is the most amazing violinist I have ever heard.  The fact that he was playing the 1708 "Ruby" Antonio Stradivari violin didn't hurt either.  I can't really describe his music except to say that it was sublime.  If you ever have a chance to hear Philippe Quint perform, don't miss it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment