Sunday, August 27, 2017

Texas is in deep trouble

I'm feeling very sorry for the people along the Gulf Coast in Texas. It's hard for me to fathom the amount of rain they are still experiencing. Four inches of rain an hour and up to 60 inches of rain total (that's 5 feet!!) seems almost incomprehensible. In July we had enough rain in a couple of days that the water in the Saint Mary's River got up to about two feet under the bridge that I see from my balcony. At times I have seen the rain come down so fast, with wind so strong that the rain was blowing sideways, but still we seldom had more than a few inches a day.  I've always felt that a flood could be the worst natural disaster to clean up after. Assuming no loss of life, if your house burns down or is covered in a mudslide or blown away in a tornado it's essentially gone and you start over, rebuild, everything is new.  With a flood, you face endless hours of pumping out water, scrubbing out mud, salvaging and cleaning whatever you can, hoping you've gotten all the moisture out so mold doesn't grow in your walls and generally staying with a house that will never be quite the same.  Some years ago, when I was a Realtor, I showed a vacant house to a buyer. I had been told the house was vacant but not that it had sustained flood damage. Evidently people had done a quick job of clean up after some minimal broken water pipe damage, then locked up and moved on. That was in the winter.  When I showed the house on a hot August day black mold had climbed up several walls and the air was unsafe to breathe.  The listing agent later told me that the bank that had reposessed the property refused to make any repairs. Probably needless to say, my buyer did not buy this property even though he was looking for a 'fixer upper'. Anyway, flood damage is terrible. Say a prayer for the people of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment