Friday, August 18, 2017

This is really bothering me.

On Monday we will be seing a solar eclipse. I have a vague memory of seeing a partial eclipse when I was a child and I'm looking forward to this one. I think back then, in the dark ages, we used layers of exposed film to look through. Unfortunately, I am one of those procrastinators who put off buying the special glasses so I will be viewing the eclipse through a build it yourself device I saw demonstrated by one of the local weather persons. I'm OK with this although I haven't quite given up on getting my hands on a pair of glasses. One way or another I will have the experience.  What's bothering me is a report I heard on TV last night concerning plans of some local schools.  I'm not sure if this applies to all Fort Wayne schools but at least some of them are keeping the children inside and even going so far as closing the window shades so there is no chance any of the children can accidentally harm their eyesight. I do understand their concerns (and possible fear of lawsuits) but I feel so sad that these kids will be denied the chance to experience a rare natural phenominum. Couldn't they just tape the glasses on their heads or something?  My youngest granddaughter told me that their entire school, St. Charles, will be outside, equiped with glasses to see the event. I really hope that is what happens. Happily I will be picking her up on Monday, and will be there in time to see the high point of the eclipse while I wait for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment