Saturday, July 10, 2021

Clerihew Day

 A wannabe poet named Luci

Was contentedly eating some sushi, 

When a challenge was raised

but she wasn't phased.  

My west coast brother, who else, informed me that today is Clerihew Day.  Naturally, having absolutely no idea what a Clerihew is, I Googled it.  It seems that a Clerihew is a poetry form created by Edmund Clerihew Bentley.  I don't know why it's not called a Bentley.  It's supposed to be a humorous poem about a person in four lines with an AA BB rhyme scheme.  The above was my first feeble attempt.  It seems to me that my poem needs a fifth line.  Something like "She wrote on while the sushi got mushie." But the problem is then it becomes a limerick.  Ah well, Edmund will never know.

Mr. Edmund C. Bentley

had a poetic bent, evidently.

Sadly his lines stopped at four.

He should have written one more.


No comments:

Post a Comment