Sunday, May 5, 2024

I remember it well.

 My west coast brother has informed me that today is the 50th anniversary of Expo 74.  It took place in Spokane WA from May to November of 1074 and was attended by about 5.6 million people. We were part of the crowd.  My west coast brother was in the Air Force then, stationed near Spokane, so my first husband and I loaded our two children, ages and one and three, and our two miniature dachshunds, into our VW camper conversion, and drove from Indiana to Spokane where we picked up my brother and visited Expo 74.  It was a bit crowded in the camper.  My husband and I slept in the fold out bed, my brother and our son (the three year old) slept in the bed in the pop top space, and our baby girl slept in a hammock like device made to be suspended over the steering wheel and front seats.  The dogs, as usual, slept on the floor.  My brother later bragged to his Air Force buddies that he slept with a cute blond that weekend.  It was true.  Our three year old was very cute.  My only very clear memory of that event was that we gave our daughter (the one year old) her first taste of Mexican food.  It was delicious and she ate quite a bit. Sadly, as we were walking across the parking lot from the restaurant, her little digestive system rebelled and the result overflowed her diaper by a copious amount.  My brother (not in uniform, thank goodness) was carrying her.  He was not amused.  It was an early and abrupt introduction to fatherhood.  Since then he has married, fathered five children and now has six grandchildren.  I'm guessing he has dealt with worse.  

No comments:

Post a Comment