Saturday, May 4, 2024

the grand finale...

 First of all, May the 4th be with you.  You Star Wars fans will understand what I mean.  The Philharmonic performed their last program in the Masterworks series for this season this evening, and it was spectacular.  Coincidentally my spouse said that the first movement of the first piece reminded him of Star Wars. I didn't hear it that way, but that's what makes music fun.  The two pieces this evening were Walton's Symphony No. 1 in B-flat minor and Rachmaninoff's Concerto No. 2 in C minor for Piano and Orchestra, Op. 18.  Both pieces were exciting and interesting because they really involved all of the orchestra - bass drum, cymbals, trumpets, trombones, violins, basses, oboe and so much more.  It was a delight.  What I especially loved about the Rachmaninoff piece was the way the piano music was integrated so completely into the whole piece.  The guest pianist, Fabio Bidini, was excellent but he wasn't the typical stand alone guest performer.  He played through the entire Concerto and was every bit as much of the music as all the other instruments.  I don't think I'm describing this very well, but it was just so beautifully done.  I guess you had to be there.  I hope you were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment