Friday, August 2, 2024

what a coincidence....

Yesterday I reminisced about Crayola crayons and my youthful enjoyment of them.  Now today, according to my west coast brother, is "National Coloring Book Day."  What an excellent thing to celebrate. I spent many happy hours as a child coloring in coloring books. I especially liked the ones that told a story and took great pleasure in the fact that I could stay within the lines better than my two-year younger brother.  Sadly, if I crowed too much about it, he would break one of my crayons in retaliation.  My west coast brother, who was 10 years younger, simply tried to eat them.  Luckily, even back then they were non-toxic.  For many happy years I enjoyed coloring within the lines as well as creating my own sketches and other 'works of art.'  When I got to college I majored in Art Education. During those years (in the sixties) a lot of emphasis was put on abstract art and we were taught that, as future art teachers, we should be aware that coloring books were bad.  They stifled creativity.  Well maybe, but over the years I've come to realize that there is a lot of satisfaction in finishing a page in a coloring book.  A friend of mine, whom I have traveled with several times, always had with her a small book of intricate designs, and she would pass the time coloring a page while we waited for a flight.  It seems that coloring books are quite popular with adults as well as children.  As for me, I seldom color in a coloring book these days.  I would rather do my own thing.  But when I get that box of crayons that I blogged about yesterday, I might just give it another try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment