Thursday, September 26, 2024

Happy Birthday1

 Today is Johnny Appleseed's 250th birthday.  He was born in 1774. My west coast brother brought this to my attention earlier today.  Many places claim some connection to good old JA, but none cherish his memory more than Fort Wayne, Indiana. Not only is he buried here (I can show you his grave) but he is also celebrated each fall with a weekend long Johnny Appleseed Festival. In addition our local baseball team is called The Tin Caps. You may recall that Johnny Appleseed wore a tin pot for a hat as he roamed around this area planting apple trees.  Those original trees are almost certainly all gone now, but their descendents still thrive. In celebration of this great day my spouse and I have each just eaten a delicious piece of apple bread from our favorite Amish bakery. Happy birthday Johnny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment