Sunday, September 29, 2024

Oh happy day

Today is National Corn Day.  It's also National Coffee Day but that's for my husband to celebrate.  As for corn, we bought some at "Schmucker's Produce Farm and Greenhouse" on Friday, and it is delicious.  Before we left on our vacation, on another visit to that market, the farmer happened to be there when we asked the clerk if they would still have sweet corn available at the end of September, when we expected to be back from our trip.  He told us he had recently planted a late crop which would be for sale in late September.  Hence our trip to the market on Friday.  My spouse and I agree that this is the best corn we've had all summer.  An interesting thing about corn, while my husband is allergic to processed corn products such as anything with corn syrup in it, and corn chips, he can eat fresh sweet corn with no ill effects.  An argument for fresh veggies I think.  I was reassured on our recent trip that the world (or at least North America) will not be facing a corn shortage any time soon.  At least that's how it appeared.  On our way west through the northern USA and on our homeward drive east through southern Canada we passed miles and miles of corn fields.  Not all sweet corn of course, but what appears to be an abundance of corn available for a variety of uses.  You'll have to take my word for it though.  I didn't, as it happens, take any pictures of corn fields on our trip, because, when you grow up in the flat country of northeastern Indiana, they are not an exceptional sight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment