Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Scrabble anyone?

When my children were young we all loved to play games.  One of our favorites, especially mine, was Scrabble.  I'm such a fan of the game that one Christmas my husband gave me a deluxe set with a board mounted on a turntable so it could be rotated from player to player around the table.  The board also has little ridges between the squares so the tiles stay where they are placed, and don't slip slide around, thus eliminating a lot of aggravation. Then the only aggravation was when I didn't win.  I can be rather competitive.  One memorably aggravating game was played on January 12, 1995.  My son was 24 at the time.  I know the date of this game because he taped the score sheet inside the cover of our Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.  On that memorable evening he scored 464 points by spelling not one but three seven-letter words, and he's never let me forget it.  Now I would like to proposed a change in the rules of this classic game.  Traditionally, proper names are not allowed but I think an exception should be made for the names of medications advertised on TV.  Words like BOTOX, ZANTAC, RINVOQ, INGREZZA and OCREVUS would certainly add some flexibility not to mention scoring possibilities.  Love those ten-point Zs.  Scrabble anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment