Monday, May 23, 2022

What's in a name?

 According to today's entry on my Trivia calendar, the Spanish Flu, the 1918 pandemic of our grandparents' time, didn't begin in Spain.  It was called Spanish because, during WWI, Spain was one of the only European countries to remain neutral. Because of that, they didn't have a media blackout and could report freely on what was going on in their country.  So people learned about that pandemic from Spain, even though it was all over Europe and the Americas.  I thought that was interesting because of our own pandemic, which we seem to be learning to live with.  Now I'm learning about the 'newest' disease, Monkey Pox, which sounds nasty but not deadly, and not so easily transmitted.  Happily, those of us of a certain age are likely immune because we were given Small Pox vaccinations as a child.  Lucky us. One more thought about knowing about diseases.  The three contestants on Jeopardy this evening (all 30-something) didn't know the answer to the final Jeopardy question about post Polio complications.  I knew the answer because one of my bosses had post-polio problems.  Also, I knew the answer because Polio was a thing when I was a child.  Actually, I think it's really excellent that Polio is so much a thing of the past that our kids and grandkids don't know anything about it.  Of course, I didn't know anything about the Spanish Flu until it was talked about in the last few years.  I think I'm going to stop thinking about diseases now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment