Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Humor me

 Please forgive me for one more reminiscence. Thinking about the nifty sand table I enjoyed in kindergarten reminded me of the real high point of that year for me.  Our teacher, Audrey Wendolyn was young and pretty and, I thought, simply wonderful.  I think that was the year I fell in love with the idea of being a teacher.  It wasn't until years and years later that I admitted to myself that I never really cared so much about being a teacher, although I did enjoy it.  What I really envied was the teacher's desk.  It was big and had all kinds of interesting things on it.  But I digress.  The best thing Miss Wendolyn did that year (1949-1950 if you're interested) was to get married.  Because, are you ready for this, she invited all of her students to the wedding.  My mother took me to the wedding and I was entranced.  Miss Wendolyn looked like a princess.   And wait, it gets better.  After the wedding my mother bought me a bride doll.  This was a pre-Barbie doll, about seven or eight inches tall that came in a square box with a clear lid. She was arranged in the box with her lovely little dress spread out all around her in a big circle.  An amazing treasure for a five year old.  Thank you Miss Wendolyn and Mommy for a sweet memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment