Sunday, August 30, 2020

tattoos anyone?

 It's funny how times and attitudes change. Today I spent a lovely afternoon with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter.  It was an excellent day to sit outside in their gazebo and enjoy perfectly grilled cheeseburgers with all the fixins.  We talked about a wide range of topics but eventually the discussion turned to tattoos.  I do not have a tattoo nor have I ever wanted one.  My granddaughter has one and wants more.  My daughter and son-in-law each have several and are planning to get more.  They all shared their design ideas with me.  I have very mixed feelings about this.  In my youth, half a century ago, where I grew up, tattoos were something men got when they went in the military, maybe, and then only one or two.  One would probably be their wife or girlfriend's name in a heart.  The second might say MOM.  I'm not sure how my uncle ended up with a hula dancer on his arm but I'm pretty sure he got that before he met my aunt.  While I'm sure there must have been some, I never knew a woman who had a tattoo.  If I'm being honest I always felt they were vaguely immoral.  Now it seems like everyone has them and I must admit some of them are real works of art.  Just the other day I rode down in the elevator with a man who had an amazing full sleeve tattoo on his right arm.  I am learning to enjoy looking at tattoos to judge the art, not the person.  If I ever got a tattoo it would be a small butterfly on my left shoulder or maybe a cute little snail.  Hummm????

No comments:

Post a Comment