Saturday, August 15, 2020

more lemons in life

 Today is National Relaxation Day which is a day I can totally get behind.  It is also National Lemon Meringue Pie day.  I made a lemon meringue pie once.  It was not relaxing.  Lemon meringue was my father's favorite pie, so one year, when I was a young and confident homemaker I decided to make one for him for his birthday.  I made everything from scratch.  My husband was at work, my toddlers were playing contentedly, I was ready.  I had never made meringue before but I can follow directions and it whipped up beautifully.  I squeezed lemons, measured all the ingredients carefully and the filling cooked up perfectly.  I made the crust (that I had done before) and assembled the creation.  The kitchen was filled with a wonderful aroma of lemons.  I baked the pie and the meringue came out with perfectly golden brown tips.  It was a delicious pie and my father loved it.  I have no idea what else I served for that birthday dinner but it didn't matter, the pie was a hit.  I never baked another lemon meringue pie.  I mean, once you prove you can do something, you really don't have to do it again, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment